Process Service Network
How To Locate a Process Server Job
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Danielle_R_Sowell]Danielle R Sowell
Being a new process server in this business can be downright frustrating. You've just completed training and are now certified to serve documents. There are loads of process serving companies in your area and no one seems to be hiring for process servers. Or there could be one process serving company local and they happen to have a full roster of servers. To top if off, the local attorneys are completely satisfied with the process server they have. You need to locate a process serving job, but nothing seems to be available. What do you do?
1. It would a great idea to obtain an assumed business name (DBA) and register it with your local county clerk. Use either you home address or secure a post office box for your business mailing address.
2. Draft some business cards with contact information. They add a professional look to your company and are great to have if you happen to encounter a lawyer during your workday.
3. Create a simple, yet informative website. This gives you a web presence and allows potential customers ease in finding you. Attorneys love to submit orders electronically, so having a page within your site that allows for online ordering would definitely afford you an advantage over your competition
3. Perform a search online of all the attorneys within 250 miles of your location. Look for attorneys that have passed the state bar within the past 6 months and are now licensed to practice law. If you are lucky, you will find a few solo attorneys who have not found a process server to work with. Introduce yourself with a succinct letter that states why they should use you instead of the competition, your price rates, and contact information. Try offering a discount or coupon for first time orders to get them in the door.
4. Advertise in all of the popular job searches such as Craigslist, Thumbtack.com, Manta.com, etc. The ones that are free will allow you to provide basic information about your company. Make sure you sign up for Google Places so that anyone that does a local search will see your company and information.
5. Do a search for all national process serving companies looking for independent contract process servers. These tend to pay on a low scale, but at least you gather experience and a testimonial, which can definitely be used in the future.
6. Join your state's process server association if they have one. This will help you network with other servers throughout the state, and possibly bring business to you down the road. They also provide conferences and newsletters that highlight news about process serving and state laws.
I've been there before. It can be tough starting out with no contacts or prospects for business. Following these few steps will do a world of difference in helping you find a process server job.
Danielle Sowell is the Owner of Cross Courier, a small Process Serving Company in Houston, TX. She can be reached via her blog at [http://crosscourier.com/process-server-blog]Crosscourier.com/process-server-blog. This is the blog to be for all things Process Service.
Next page: Serve Now
Bookmark/Share This Page:
Process Service Network News
Colorado Homeowners Association Law | Service of Process - What is it? - Linex Legal (press release) (registration)
Colorado Homeowners Association Law | Service of Process - What is it?
Linex Legal (press release) (registration)
The court obtains personal jurisdiction over a defendant when the plaintiff obtains proper service of process of the summons and other related documents, including the complaint. Service of process is the way by which a party receives notice of the ...
Winning Women: Marisa Secco - Texas Lawyer
Winning Women: Marisa Secco
Secco explained that, among other things, those projects involved rules for parental termination appeals, expedited foreclosures, service of process, offers of settlement and more. One bill that drew a lot of attention from lawyers was House Bill 274 ...
14 JT 41 NOTICE OF SERVICE BY PUBLICATION - Wakeweekly
14 JT 41 NOTICE OF SERVICE BY PUBLICATION
ADDITIONAL NOTICE TO THE PARENT(S) NAMED ABOVE: If you do not file a written answer to the petition with the Clerk of Superior Court within thirty (30) days after first publication of this Notice Of Service of Process by Publication, the court may ...
On The Docket 08-28-14 - Los Alamos Monitor
On The Docket 08-28-14
Los Alamos Monitor
Gabriel Wadt pled no contest in Los Alamos County Magistrate Court to resisting, evading or obstructing an officer (service of process). Sentencing is deferred, on conditions of probation as specified. Defendant is advised that completion of all terms ...
IN THE GENERAL SESSIONS COURT FOR ANDERSON COUNTY ... - Oak Ridger
IN THE GENERAL SESSIONS COURT FOR ANDERSON COUNTY ...
From the above: IT IS IS HEREBY ORDERED, ADJUDGED, AND DECREED that publication shall issue in a local newspaper to obtain service of process against the Deper to obtain service of process against the Defendant according to law. Enter this order ...
High Court's Sleight Of Hand In Bankruptcy Jurisdiction - Law360 (subscription)
High Court's Sleight Of Hand In Bankruptcy Jurisdiction
In general, service of process in a bankruptcy case is governed by Federal Rule of Bankruptcy Procedure 7004(b), which allows for service of process by mailing to a defendant anywhere in the United States. Under Rule 7004(f), service of process ...
Lawsuit seeks consulting fees in Grand Station project - Jackson Clarion Ledger
Lawsuit seeks consulting fees in Grand Station project
Jackson Clarion Ledger
Ridgeland attorney John Moore, listed in the suit as "registered agent for service of process" for the defendants, wouldn't comment but said he wouldn't be acting as counsel for the investment groups in this case because he isn't licensed to practice ...